I doubled the amount of panko coating to really cover them well and enjoyed the creamy-on- the-inside, crunchy-on-the-outside contrast. Will make again and definitely a good recipe to have on hand for vegetarians. The acidic, peppery arugula salad paired well, and I also served with garlic naan to make sure my husband didn't walk away starving.
Crispy Cauliflower Cakes with Herb Sauce and Arugula Salad
To toast panko, place in a large skillet, and cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 17.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 11.7g
- Carbohydrate: 26.8g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 569mg
- Calcium: 194mg
- 12 ounces cauliflower florets
- 1 (10-ounce) peeled baking potato, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 large shallots, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise (such as Hellmann's)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. To prepare cakes, place cauliflower, potato, and shallots on a baking sheet. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over vegetables; toss. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Place cauliflower mixture in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until chopped. Scrape mixture into a bowl. Add fontina, thyme, salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and egg, stirring well.
- 3. Combine panko and Parmigiano-Reggiano in a shallow dish. Using wet hands, shape cauliflower mixture into 8 (1-inch-thick) patties; dredge in panko mixture. Place patties on baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- 4. To prepare sauce, combine sour cream and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl.
- 5. To prepare salad, combine arugula, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons oil, and juice; toss well to coat. Place 1 cup arugula mixture on each of 4 plates; top with 2 cakes and 1 tablespoon herb sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note