Lovely soup! My husband is not a big fan of cauliflower, but he liked it. The dominant taste of cauliflower in cauliflower soups was missing a bit, to its benefit. The spices and cider nicely blended together in the soup. I will definitely make this again, and would serve it to guests, too.
Cauliflower-Apple Soup with Apple Cider Reduction
Soothing soups provide nutrients like vitamins and fluids. If you crave more spice, add a little more Madras curry powder. Substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth would make this a fine vegetarian option. Serve with a salad and cheese toast points to add fiber, protein, and heartiness to a light lunch or dinner.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 98
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 16.1g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 450mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 6 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
- 1. Bring the apple cider to a boil in a small saucepan. Cook until cider is reduced to 1/4 cup (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.
- 2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add curry powder and garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add cauliflower, broth, and apple; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender.
- 3. Remove pan from heat; cool 5 minutes. Place half of cauliflower mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining cauliflower mixture. Return to pot. Stir in half-and-half; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in juice, salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; drizzle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cider reduction. Garnish with coarsely ground pepper, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note