- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 5 pounds dressed catfish, filleted and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 lemon slices
- 1/4 cup water
How to Make It
Combine garlic, parsley, green pepper, celery, and onion in a medium mixing bowl; mix well, and set aside.
Place fish in a large mixing bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Pour oil into a large Dutch oven; add half of seasoned fish. Sprinkle half of prepared vegetables on top; add 1 tablespoon flour and half of tomato sauce. Do not stir. Repeat layers with remaining fish, vegetables, flour, and tomato sauce. Add thyme, bay leaf, lemon slices, and water. Do not stir.
Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 1 hour or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Shake pot occasionally to prevent sticking. (Do not stir mixture.)
Remove bay leaf; discard. Serve hot in individual serving bowls.