- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 cups Vedge-Style Vegetable Stock or unsalted vegetable stock
- 2 cups uncooked black lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 2 pounds large carrots
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded
- calories 427
- fat 12.1 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- monofat 8.4 g
- polyfat 1.5 g
- protein 21.4 g
- carbohydrate 63.6 g
- fiber 14.1 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 6.6 mg
- sodium 504 mg
- calcium 72 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 1/2 cup onion and minced garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until golden. Add stock, lentils, and 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Combine carrots, 2 tablespoons oil, and remaining 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, tossing well to coat. Arrange carrot mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender.
Combine remaining 1 cup onion, remaining oil, cilantro, and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.
Place lentils on a serving dish; arrange carrots on top. Serve with harissa.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.