Carrot and Sweet-Potato Tzimmes
Time: 1 3/4 hours. Amy Giaquinta roasts two root vegetables to sweetness for this classic Jewish dish, wonderful alongside short ribs and always a hit with her kids at Passover.
Yield: Serves 12 (makes 6 cups)
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 122
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 1.7g
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 167mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut in 1-in. pieces
- 2 pounds Garnet sweet potatoes (often labeled yams), peeled and cut in 1-in. pieces
- 1/4 cup butter*
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 green onions, diagonally sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Put carrots, sweet potatoes, butter, thyme, salt, and pepper in a 9- by 13-in. pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Stir, then cook, covered, until carrots are very tender, about 50 minutes. Stir in green onions and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Coarsely mash vegetables in pan.
- *For a nondairy kosher version, use extra-virgin olive oil in place of the butter.
- Make ahead: Chill airtight up to 1 day; microwave until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables