I'm not really a cooked carrot or a sweet potato kind of person but this was a great soup, though the relish had way too much of a bite for me (way too much shallot). It overpowered the soup. Without the relish it still needed something, so when I had my leftovers (which were amazing, btw), I sprinkled in some curry to round out the flavor. I bet some cinnamon, or garam masala would work well too.
Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Cranberry Relish
This is a thick puree of carrots and sweet potatoes garnished with a zesty cranberry topping. Storing and transporting is easy: Place one cup soup, about one tablespoon relish, and 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley in separate containers. To serve, reheat the soup; combine the relish and parsley, and garnish. Crisp breadsticks and a small wedge of sharp cheddar cheese complete the meal.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 144
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 25.7g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 763mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots (1 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 small onion, cut into 8 wedges (about 14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Remaining ingredient:
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- To prepare relish, combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare soup, combine carrots, sweet potato, and onion on a jelly-roll pan; drizzle with oil. Toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Place vegetables, broth, and ginger in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place half of vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture. Stir in salt and pepper. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls. Stir parsley into relish. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon relish mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note