I used regular carrots and white onions as that's what I had available and the recipe turned out great. For certain, I'll add it to my repertoire. I'm sure using shallots would work better. Using the sesame oil really makes a difference in my book.
Carrot Soup with Yogurt
Photo: Sang An; Styling: Pam Morris
A hint of toasted sesame oil lends depth to this velvety soup. Use real baby carrots, not the whittled-down packaged ones, which are lacking in flavor. Garnish with sautéed carrot strips.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup soup, 1 tablespoon yogurt, and 1 mint sprig)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 47
- Fat: 1.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 6.5g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 163mg
- Calcium: 36mg
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1/3 cup sliced shallots (about 1 large)
- 1 pound baby carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek-style plain yogurt
- 8 fresh mint sprigs
- 1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots to pan; cook 2 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add carrots; cook 4 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 22 minutes or until tender. Add ginger; cook 8 minutes or until carrots are very tender. Cover and let stand 5 minutes at room temperature.
- 2. Pour half of carrot mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining carrot mixture. Return pureed soup to pan; heat over medium heat 2 minutes or until heated.
- 3. Spoon soup into small bowls, and top with plain yogurt and fresh mint sprigs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Carrot Soup with Yogurt Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Soups/Stews