My husband and I enjoyed this. I used about 1/2 c. crab per person; next time I would 3/4 c. or 1 cup per person. I used less than the 5 cups of water called for and used half water half chicken stock for more flavor. Next timeI I would also add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes before pureeing.
Carrot Soup with Dungeness Crab
Serve this lively soup, a fine showcase for Dungeness crab, to brighten up a winter day.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 pound sliced carrots
- 1 large bay leaf (or 2 small)
- 2 tablespoons white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 ounces shelled cooked Dungeness crab (from a 1 1/2 lb. crab)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, plus chopped chives for garnishing
- 1. In a 5-qt. pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrots, bay leaf, white rice, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until onions are light golden, about 6 minutes. Add 5 cups water and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- 2. Working in batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to pot, stir in lemon zest, and keep warm. In a small bowl, toss crab with lemon juice and minced chives. Put an equal mound of crab mixture in the center of each of 4 soup bowls, then ladle soup around crab. Garnish with chopped chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes