- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 pound sliced carrots
- 1 large bay leaf (or 2 small)
- 2 tablespoons white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 ounces shelled cooked Dungeness crab (from a 1 1/2 lb. crab)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, plus chopped chives for garnishing
How to Make It
In a 5-qt. pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrots, bay leaf, white rice, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until onions are light golden, about 6 minutes. Add 5 cups water and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Working in batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to pot, stir in lemon zest, and keep warm. In a small bowl, toss crab with lemon juice and minced chives. Put an equal mound of crab mixture in the center of each of 4 soup bowls, then ladle soup around crab. Garnish with chopped chives.