- 2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 6 cups vegetable stock, chicken stock, or water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons anise-flavored liqueur, such as sambuca, ouzo, or Pernod, divided
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- calories 326
- caloriesfromfat 63 %
- protein 2.9 g
- fat 23 g
- satfat 14 g
- carbohydrate 24 g
- fiber 4.3 g
- sodium 660 mg
- cholesterol 73 mg
How to Make It
Toast anise seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and coarsely grind.
In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and anise seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Pour in stock, bring to a simmer, and cook until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
In batches, purée soup in a blender until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Strain purée through a fine-mesh strainer into a pot and season with salt and pepper. Place over medium heat, stir in cream, and heat until hot. Stir in 4 tbsp. liqueur; season with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, stir together crème fraîche and remaining 1 tbsp. liqueur; season with salt. Ladle soup into warmed bowls. Drizzle with crème fraîche and sprinkle with chives.
Soup will be Gluten-Free when made with gluten-free stock.