- 5 cups unpeeled, ground green tomatoes
- 3 cups ground cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups ground onion
- 1 1/2 cups ground cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups ground carrots
- 1 medium-size green pepper, seeded and ground
- 1 medium-size sweet red pepper, seeded and ground
- 1/4 cup salt
- 4 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 1/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup celery seeds
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
How to Make It
Combine ground vegetables and salt in a large glass mixing bowl, stirring well; cover and refrigerate 4 hours. Rinse in cold water, and drain.
Combine vegetables, vinegar, sugar, celery and mustard seeds, and red pepper in a large non-aluminum stockpot, stirring well; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
Quickly ladle relish into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Cover with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes. Serve with meats or vegetables.