- 1/2 pound red pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 very large carrots, cut crosswise 1 inch thick at the wide ends and 1
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried porcini powder, ground porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups prepared mushroom broth
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
How to Make It
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the pearl onions and cook for 1 minute. Drain and trim the onions, then peel them. Wipe out the skillet.
Return the skillet to the heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the carrots in a single layer, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, turning, until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Add the pearl onions, sprinkle with the curry powder and cook, stirring a few times, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Add the porcini powder and mushroom broth and bring to a boil. Transfer the skillet to the oven and braise the carrots for 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning once, until tender.
Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon the carrots, onions and sauce into shallow bowls. In a bowl, toss the parsley with the lemon juice and the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Scatter the parsley leaves over the carrots and serve.