Great alternative side dish! My family loved it and it was a perfect make ahead dish for a party. I loved the unexpected addition of carrorts to it- it kicked up the flavor of the dish and kept it light at the same time. I made it to accompany lemon chicken and green beans with goat cheese, tomatoes, shallots, and almonds. All the flavors melded together perfectly. I'll make this again.
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Sissy Lamerton
More From Southern Living
- 8 ounces carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Garnish: carrot curls
- 1. Process carrots in a food processor 15 seconds or until finely chopped.
- 2. Combine 2 1/2 cups water and broth in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave at HIGH 5 minutes or until very hot.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until tender. Add orzo and garlic, and cook 1 minute.
- 4. Slowly stir hot broth mixture, salt, and pepper into orzo mixture. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 5. Stir in Parmesan cheese, chives, and thyme until blended. Serve orzo immediately. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables