Quite good. very flavorful. I didn't have enough carrots so I added kale to see how it would taste. I would increase the # of carrots next time to make it thicker, and maybe reduce the ginger a bit, but that was my fault. :) also, I bet it would taste really good with some coconut milk added!
Loaded with surprising hits of curry powder, lime juice, and cilantro, this soup pairs perfectly with a panini or with a salad for dinner. It also makes a wonderful first course for a fancier meal. Make this a vegetarian option by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 2 Minutes
- Calories: 88
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 294mg
- Calcium: 20mg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 7 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups diced carrot (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Melt butter with olive oil in pan; cook 2 minutes or until butter melts. Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook 10 minutes or until onion is soft, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in broth, carrot, and wine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- 3. Place half of carrot mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining carrot mixture. Stir in lime juice, curry powder, and pepper. Ladle about 2/3 cup soup into each of 12 bowls. Sprinkle evenly with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note