I've made this over and over again. It's delicious and easy to make. I haven't tried it with the optional garnish items though. Overall, this is tasty despite the seemingly odd combination of flavors (apple, onion, etc).
Savory Squash, Carrot, and Ginger Soup
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 45 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 171
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 445mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons diced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 diced peeled apple
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (12-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 diced peeled pear, for garnish
- 2 teaspoons minced chives, for garnish
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 1. In a 2-quart stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté carrots and onions until softened. Add next 4 ingredients (through apple); sauté until fragrant.
- 2. Add broth and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Pulse mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add coconut milk, then add salt, to taste.
- 4. Garnish with diced pear and chives, if desired. Serve with 1 piece of bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note