Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 286
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 48.3g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 207mg
- Calcium: 54mg
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 11.2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups finely shredded carrot (about 6 small)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 12 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round and 1 (8-inch) square cake pans with cooking spray; dust with 3 tablespoons flour. Weigh or lightly spoon 11.2 ounces flour (about 2 1/2 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine granulated sugarand next 7 ingredients in a medium bowl; beat well with a mixer at medium speed. Stir in carrot. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- 3. Pour 1 1/3 cups batter into each prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Run a knife around outside edge of pans. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- 4. To prepare frosting, combine butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and vanilla just until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 5. For baby's cake, cut 2 small layers from square layer, using a (4-inch) round cookie cutter, discarding scraps. Place 1 layer on a small plate; spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Top with remaining layer. Spread 1/2 cup frosting on top and sides of cake.
- 6. For adult cake, place 1 round cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining round layer. Spread 2 1/4 cups frosting on top and sides of cake. Store cakes loosely covered in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings