I want to make this cake and have all the ingredients but I noticed that my box of Duncan Hines spice cake is 16.5oz and not 18.25oz. Did anyone notice this and did it affect the way the cake came out?
Carrot-Apple Spice Cake with Browned-Butter Glaze
We challenged ourselves to come up with a showstopping dessert that uses boxed cake mix as a starting point--and we succeeded. Fresh carrot and apple plus a splash of bourbon boost the flavor of the layers, while the browned-butter glaze is, well, the wildly delicious icing on the cake.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 294
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 43.7g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 259mg
- Calcium: 86mg
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box spice cake mix (such as Duncan Hines)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated peeled Honeycrisp apple (or any sweet-tart apple)
- Baking spray with flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at low speed for 1 minute or until well combined. Add cake mix to buttermilk mixture; beat at medium speed 1 minute or until well blended. Stir in carrot and apple until just combined. Divide batter evenly among 3 (8-inch) round cake pans coated with baking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
- 3. To prepare glaze, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook 6 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Cool slightly. Combine browned butter, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at low speed 2 minutes or until smooth.
- 4. To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread 1/4 cup glaze over cake layer. Top with second layer and spread with 1/4 cup glaze. Top with third layer. Stir the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar into remaining glaze. Spread remaining glaze over top of cake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note