- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, chopped
- 1 Gala apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 to 3 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Garnishes: chopped fresh chives, freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
Sauté shallots in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in carrots and apple; cook, stirring often, 2 to 4 minutes or until apple is tender. Add ginger, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in broth and zest; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir in salt, lime juice, and pepper.
Remove from heat. Process mixture with a handheld blender until smooth.