Carrot-And-Butternut Squash Soup With Parsleyed Croutons
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Trinda Gage
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 155
- Fat: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Sodium: 297mg
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound carrots, shredded
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and shredded
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) French bread slices
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon hot oil in a large Dutch oven 2 minutes or until tender. Add carrot and squash; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in rice. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Cut bread slices into 1-inch triangles, and brush lightly with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange triangles on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Process vegetable mixture in batches in a blender until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides; return to Dutch oven. Stir in milk, and simmer until thoroughly heated. Stir in rind, salt, and pepper.
- Dip 1 point of each bread triangle in soup, and coat with chopped parsley. Serve croutons on top of soup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews