- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound carrots, shredded
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and shredded
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) French bread slices
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- calories 155
- fat 4.1 g
- cholesterol 1 mg
- sodium 297 mg
How to Make It
Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon hot oil in a large Dutch oven 2 minutes or until tender. Add carrot and squash; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in rice. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
Cut bread slices into 1-inch triangles, and brush lightly with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange triangles on a baking sheet.
Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
Process vegetable mixture in batches in a blender until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides; return to Dutch oven. Stir in milk, and simmer until thoroughly heated. Stir in rind, salt, and pepper.
Dip 1 point of each bread triangle in soup, and coat with chopped parsley. Serve croutons on top of soup.