Carolyn's Corned Beef and Cabbage
Katheryn Flournoy adds carrots and red potatoes to her late mother-in-law's recipe.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb.) package corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 1 large head cabbage (about 2 1/2 lb.), coarsely chopped
- Creamy Lemon Horseradish Sauce
- 1. Place corned beef, fat side up, and contents of spice packet in a large Dutch oven; cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours and 45 minutes or until fork-tender.
- 2. Skim and remove fat from surface; add cabbage, and return to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 more minutes or just until cabbage is tender. Serve with Creamy Lemon Horseradish Sauce.
- Corned Beef, Cabbage, Potatoes, and Carrots: Simmer corned beef as directed in Step 1. Skim fat, and add 1 lb. small red potatoes, halved, and 8 oz. baby carrots. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Add 1 lb. cabbage, coarsely chopped, and simmer 15 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Prep: 20 min.; Cook: 3 hr., 30 min.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes