- Double-Crust Pastry
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 5 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
How to Make It
Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of pastry. Combine sugar, flour, rind, cinnamon, and salt; stir well. Sprinkle one-third of mixture into pastry shell. Top with apple slices. Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture over apples; dot with butter.
Cover with top crust, and slit in several places to allow steam to escape; seal and flute edges. Brush pastry lightly with beaten egg white. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 375°, and bake an additional 30 minutes.