I have not made this soup...was the liquid or broth accidentally omitted?
Carla's Lentil Soup
Notes: If making soup a day ahead, thin with a little water if necessary and reheat before serving.
Yield: Makes 6 quarts; about 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 323
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 8.9g
- Sodium: 533mg
- Cholesterol: 9.5mg
- 6 slices bacon (6 oz. total), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 onions (1 lb. total), peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots (8 oz. total), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery (6 oz. total), rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups dried lentils (about 1 1/2 lb.), rinsed and sorted
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 2 lemons, rinsed and cut into wedges
- 1. In an 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir bacon until browned around edges, about 2 minutes. Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to pan and stir frequently until vegetables are very limp, about 10 minutes (lower heat to medium if necessary to prevent scorching).
- 2. Add lentils, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and 9 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lentils are very tender to bite, about 20 minutes. Add tomatoes, including juices, and 1 cup water; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes longer.
- 3. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over individual servings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note