I have not made this soup...was the liquid or broth accidentally omitted?
Carla's Lentil Soup
Notes: If making soup a day ahead, thin with a little water if necessary and reheat before serving.
Yield: Makes 6 quarts; about 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 323
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 8.9g
- Sodium: 533mg
- Cholesterol: 9.5mg
- 6 slices bacon (6 oz. total), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 onions (1 lb. total), peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots (8 oz. total), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery (6 oz. total), rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups dried lentils (about 1 1/2 lb.), rinsed and sorted
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 2 lemons, rinsed and cut into wedges
- 1. In an 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir bacon until browned around edges, about 2 minutes. Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to pan and stir frequently until vegetables are very limp, about 10 minutes (lower heat to medium if necessary to prevent scorching).
- 2. Add lentils, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and 9 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lentils are very tender to bite, about 20 minutes. Add tomatoes, including juices, and 1 cup water; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes longer.
- 3. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over individual servings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews