Carla Hall's Sweet Potato Tarte Tatin
Helpful Tips: 1. Don’t use any utensils to stir the sugar while it's cooking. 2. You can substitute the sweet potato for apples or pears, or you can try russet potatoes for a savory recipe. 3. If your tarte gets cold and sticks in the pan, simply warm it up on the stove to loosen before flipping.
Yield: 6 servings
Community Recipe from
- 2 whole(s) Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) Granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoon(s) Unsalted Butter cut into pats
- 1 teaspoon(s) Cinnamon
- pinch(s) salt
- 1 piece(s) Puff Pastry store bought
- 1 cup(s) Mascarpone
- 1/2 cup(s) Confectioner's Sugar
- 2 Sweet Potatoes - Preheat oven to 375 F. Place sweet potatoes in a microwave and cook for 6 minutes on high. Allow to cool slightly before removing. Carefully peel the sweet potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. Then cut 1/4-inch thick slices crosswise. Set aside.
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter cut into pats
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- pinch of Salt
- Heat a skillet over medium. Sprinkle in the sugar to coat the bottom of the pan. Allow sugar to cook for 1 minute over heat until it starts to turn golden. Gently swirl the pan so the raw sugar begins to cook. DO NOT use any utensils to mix the sugar, it will crystalize. Once the sugar has melted and is caramel in color, about 3 minutes total, add the pats of butter quickly. Swirl the pan again to incorporate butter. Sprinkle in cinnamon and salt and mix, can use a spoon now. Remove pan from heat and begin to add the sweet potatoes, make sure they stay together and are like a fan..
- 1 piece Puff Pastry
- Use an offset spatula to lift a row of sweet potato halves at once. Place along edge of pan and press gently to spread layers into a close shingle. Repeat with remaining sweet potato to form concentric circles of shingled sweet potato. Lay puff pastry over pan tucking edges into pan.
- 1 cup Mascarpone
- 1/2 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- Place skillet into oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown. Meanwhile, whip together the mascarpone and confectioner's sugar until fully combined.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and allow to cool slightly. carefully place a large plate or platter upside down over pan making sure it covers pan completely. Flip pan and plate and place plate on counter. Carefully remove pan to reveal tarte's bottom. Serve with sweetened mascarpone.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Marcsu and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Carla Hall's Sweet Potato Tarte Tatin Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts
More Recipes for Main Dishes