Really good! I omitted the garlic and used brown rice instead of yellow. Next time I'll also try substituting a simpler version of the sweet potatoes.
Caribbean Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans
Make this delicious Sweet Potato and Black Bean dish for a dinner with Caribbean flair. The flavor of the hot Italian turkey sausage really goes well with the spices in the dish to give this recipe a well-rounded island flavor.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 406
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 20.2g
- Carbohydrate: 60.1g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 637mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 1 (5-ounce) package yellow rice mix
- 3 (4-ounce) links hot Italian turkey sausage
- 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups Maple-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Remove seasoning packet from rice mix; discard. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting fat. Keep warm.
- Crumble the sausage into a large nonstick skillet, and stir over medium-high heat until browned (about 8 minutes). Drain sausage, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add thinly sliced onion and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in the Maple-Glazed Sweet Potatoes and the next 4 ingredients (potatoes through cinnamon), and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in sausage, green onions, and beans; cover and cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This