- 3 bone-in chicken breasts, skinned
- 3 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 tablespoon salt-free Caribbean rub (we tested with Spice Hunter)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce*
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Hot cooked rice
- Fresh cilantro
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
How to Make It
Sprinkle chicken evenly with Caribbean rub; set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic. Cook 3 minutes or until tender. Transfer mixture to a 5-quart oval slow cooker using a slotted spoon. Heat remaining 3 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken, and cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned, turning occasionally. Transfer chicken to slow cooker. Add 1 cup broth to skillet, scraping skillet to loosen browned bits. Pour over chicken. Add remaining broth, adobo sauce, and next 4 ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 1 hour. Decrease temperature to LOW, and cook 3 more hours.
Remove chicken from slow cooker, and cool 10 minutes. Remove chicken from bones, returning meat to slow cooker. Stir in lime juice. Serve soup over hot cooked rice; top with cilantro, radishes, and sour cream. Serve with lime wedges.
* We used adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce.