Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 large onion chopped about 2 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt optional
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground allspice
- 1 minced fresh chile keep seeds for extra heat
- 1 large sweet potato cut into medium chunks
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh grated ginger
- 2 cup(s) vegetable stock
- 2 small zucchini in 1 inch chunks
- 2 cup(s) okra fresh or frozen is fine
- 1-1/2 cup(s) undrained canned tomatoes whole, coarsely chopped
- 4 cup(s) loosely packed shredded kale
- 1 tablespoon(s) lime juice
- 4 tablespoon(s) finely chopped cilantro
- In a covered soup pot, sauté the onions in the oil for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the thyme, allspice, and chile and continue to cook for another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and the water or stock, and ginger, and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and the tomatoes and okra with their juice and simmer 10 to 15 minutes more, until all of the vegetables are barely tender.
- Add the kale and cook another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon or lime juice, cilantro, and salt to taste.
- Serve with brown rice and Jerk Tofu.
- Adapted from the Moosewood Cooks At Home cookbook.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by mambaza and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Caribbean Stew Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes