I made this recipe for an appetizer and now I am REQUIRED to bring to every Thanksgiving. The spice in the shrimp goes so well with the cool pineapple in the salsa. I often add Mango to the salsa as well.
Caribbean-spiced Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa
It takes only minutes to prepare the shrimp. If you choose to serve it warm, make the salsa first. The shrimp also can be cooked several hours ahead, refrigerated, and brought to room temperature before serving.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 pounds unpeeled jumbo shrimp (16-20 count)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Pineapple Salsa
- Combine first 10 ingredients, including fennel if desired, in a small bowl.
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails on; devein, if desired. Dredge shrimp in spice mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, in batches, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet, as needed, to cook remaining shrimp. Serve shrimp warm or at room temperature with Pineapple Salsa.
- Wine note: Napa Valley winemaker Jeff Morgan produces SoloRosa, a dry California rosé, and Covenant, a kosher Cabernet Sauvignon. Jeff wrote Dean & DeLuca: The Food and Wine Cookbook and The Working Parents Cookbook. His recently penned wine book, Rosé, A Guide to the World's Most Versatile Wine, appeared in bookstores in May. Below, Jeff pairs wine with this flavorful shrimp recipe.
- With so many bright flavors and spices, this dish embodies the color and heat of the tropics. A ripe, lush Chardonnay from Northern California will cool the palate but also have the weight to stand up to this full-bodied culinary presentation. I recommend Ramey Cellars Russian River Valley Chardonnay (about $35). - Jeff Morgan
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note