Made this marinade for some chicken we had in the freezer---food processor was broken so I just diced the onion, used dried thyme, left out the green onion altogether. Didn't bother with the kebabs, just pounded the chicken breasts and threw them in the marinade for a couple of hours, then onto the grill. Chicken was tender and juicy and the flavors of the marinade really came through. Served with rice cooked with 1/2 coconut cream and 1/2 water mixed with a can of black beans, and fried green bananas.
Caribbean-Spiced Chicken Kebabs
You can make this super spicy with hot pepper sauce or omit it altogether and enjoy the milder spices of the Caribbean that are totally kid friendly. If you use wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water first, or you’ll set them on fire. Serve with some Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro as a dipping sauce, if desired.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 4 Hours, 24 Minutes
- Calories: 364
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Protein: 41.2g
- Carbohydrate: 11.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 656mg
- Calcium: 57mg
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1. Place all ingredients except chicken and cooking spray in food processor; process until smooth. Pour marinade into a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag, turning to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Thread chicken evenly onto 4 metal skewers. Place on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cook 10 minutes or until done, turning after 5 minutes.
- Kids Can Help: Another way to get kids excited about cooking is to let them in the spice cabinet! Spices like ginger, cinnamon, and cloves all smell wonderful. Kids can measure the spices for you before sprinkling them into the food processor.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note