Rice was really tasty. I had a hard time getting the jasmine rice to cook completely. ended up adding extra coconut milk and water. I served this with the turnip carrot mash and the slow cooked pork recipe for a fabulous Christmas eve dinner!
Caribbean Rice and Peas
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 (10-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can pigeon peas, rinsed and drained*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes or until translucent. Add rice and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in peas, parsley, lemon rind, and salt. Garnish, if desired.
- * 1 (15-ounce) can field peas may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables