This recipe tasted like BBQ Chili. It was savory. Mmmmm! I used Kosher Chicken breast that my hubby had been marinating over-night. He just threw together a number of different ingredients, so as much as I would like, I can't repeat it exactly. That may have effected the taste. I cut the chicken into strips before adding it to the pot as a substitute for the chicken tenders. This soup is nothing like I expected for Black Bean Soup, but that's okay. It was delicious and easy.
Caribbean Black Bean Soup
Yield: Makes 6 cups
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (14-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Toppings: diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Sauté onion and next 4 ingredients in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender and fragrant. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes and next 4 ingredients until well blended. Stir in chicken. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 2 hours. Shred chicken with two forks in Dutch oven. Add black beans, and cook 10 more minutes. Stir in salt. Serve with desired toppings.
- Note: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator. When reheating, add water or canned broth to reach desired consistency.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews