Caribbean Beans and Rice
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/2 pound salt pork
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 habanero chile pepper, seeded*
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to 2 inches above beans. Soak 8 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Bring beans and next 3 ingredients to a boil in Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until beans are tender. Add rice and next 5 ingredients; return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove and discard pork; stir in green onions.
- *2 teaspoons habanero hot sauce may be sustituted for 1/2 habanero chile pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes