Not an every day recipe because it's time consuming & is not a healthy eating recipe, but it was fabulous. We tried it this weekend for a dinner & are going to make it for Thanksgiving. Very flavorful. Didn't make any changes to the recipe. It can be put together ahead of time & baked later, which is helpful.
Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes. Notes: For a vegetarian side dish, leave out bacon and increase butter to 4 tbsp. and salt to 1 tsp.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 315
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 642mg
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, stir together salt and pepper. Arrange one-third of potato slices in bottom of a buttered 9- by 13-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper mixture. Top with half the bacon, 1/2 cup cheese, and 1 tsp. caraway seeds. Repeat layering.
- 2. Arrange remaining third of potato slices on top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper mixture, 1/2 cup cheese, and 1 tsp. caraway seeds. Dot with butter, cover with foil, and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until golden brown on top and cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables