Caramelized Sweet Onion Tarte Tatin from Southern Living
Community Recipe from
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 8 small, sweet onions halved crosswise
- 1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet thawed
- garnishes: fresh thyme sprigs, freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-low heat; swirl to coat bottom. Sprinkle with sugar.
- 2. Place 12 to 14 onion halves in skillet, cut sides down, with sides touching. Cut remaining onion halves into quarters, and place, cut sides down, in gaps between onions in skillet.
- 3. Cover and cook onions 10 minutes, adding salt and 1 tablespoon water halfway through. Add vinegar; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are caramelized. Remove from heat.
- 4. Roll pastry sheet into a 12-inch square on a lightly floured surface; cut into a 12-inch round. Place pastry round over onions in skillet.
- 5. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and immediately invert onto a serving plate.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Caramelized Sweet Onion Tarte Tatin from Southern Living Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables
More Recipes for Main Dishes