Caramelized Shallots and Walnuts
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 234
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 4.8g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pounds shallots, trimmed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 cup Vin Santo (Italian dessert wine*)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add shallots and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are well browned all over, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Add walnuts, Vin Santo, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until shallots are tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover, turn heat to medium-high, and cook until liquid is reduced and almost completely evaporated. Serve warm.
- * Vin Santo is sold at liquor stores; substitute Madeira, Marsala, Port, or any other sweet wine, if you prefer.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments