You cannot "caramelize" scallops or any animal product. You can only caramelize foods that contain simple sugars. You "brown" meats or seafoods (it's actually the Maillard reaction). Many chefs on TV get this terminology wrong, also. This recipe should be "Browned" or "Seared" Scallops. You cannot "caramelize" meats! http://voices.yahoo.com/hey-michael-symon-cant-caramelize-10148691.html
Photo: Randy Mayor; Stylist: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 185
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 29.2g
- Carbohydrate: 13.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 844mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 3 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 5 teaspoons water, divided
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large sea scallops (about 12 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 lime wedges
- 1. Combine 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1 tablespoon water, fish sauce, and next 4 ingredients (through red pepper) in a small bowl.
- 2. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons water in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking 2 minutes or until golden (do not stir). Remove from heat; carefully add fish sauce mixture, stirring constantly. Keep warm.
- 3. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle black pepper over scallops; add scallops to pan. Cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Add sauce; toss well. Sprinkle with mint. Serve with lime.
- Wide rice noodles and sugar snap peas: Steam 6 ounces sugar snap peas 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; place in bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil to peas; toss well. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note