I cooked this tonight with the dry packed scallops. Both my husband & I really liked it. I cooked the scallops for just a bit on both sides and then finished cooking them with the sauce. They caramelized very well. I didn't use the mint. We will have this again.
Toss seared scallops with a flavorful caramel sauce for a simple, yet elegant, meal that's perfect for date nights. Serve with wide rice noodles and sugar snap peas.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 185
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 29.2g
- Carbohydrate: 13.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 844mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 3 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 5 teaspoons water, divided
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large sea scallops (about 12 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 lime wedges
- 1. Combine 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1 tablespoon water, fish sauce, and next 4 ingredients (through red pepper) in a small bowl.
- 2. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons water in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking 2 minutes or until golden (do not stir). Remove from heat; carefully add fish sauce mixture, stirring constantly. Keep warm.
- 3. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle black pepper over scallops; add scallops to pan. Cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Add sauce; toss well. Sprinkle with mint. Serve with lime.
- Wide rice noodles and sugar snap peas: Steam 6 ounces sugar snap peas 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; place in bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil to peas; toss well. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note