Caramelized Pumpkin Crostata
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 small pumpkins (8 pounds), halved and seeded
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Caramel Sauce
- Nanci Courtney's Crème Anglaise
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Freeze 1 cup butter 10 minutes.
- Pulse flour, 1/4 cup superfine sugar, and salt in a food processor 2 or 3 times or until blended. Add butter; pulse 15 times or until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add 1/4 cup ice water through food chute. Process 10 seconds or just until blended.
- Turn dough out onto a sheet of aluminum foil; shape into a 7-inch round. Cover tightly, and chill at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Place pumpkin halves, cut side down, in a large, shallow pan.
- Bake at 500° for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven, and cool to touch.
- Scoop out pulp, reserving 6 cups.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a heavy skillet; add 2 cups sugar, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and turns a deep-golden color. Carefully stir in pumpkin pulp (mixture will lump but become smooth with further cooking); cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth. Spoon mixture into a bowl; chill 1 hour or until thoroughly chilled.
- Roll dough into an 18-by-15-inch oval on a floured surface; carefully transfer to a baking sheet (dough is very tender). Spoon pumpkin mixture over dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Gently lift border, and fold over filling, pleating dough as necessary.
- Bake at 450° for 18 to 22 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Sprinkle warm tart with powdered sugar. Serve with Caramel Sauce, Nanci Courtney's Cremé Anglaise, and whipped cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note