Caramelized Plantains With Honey-Peanut Sauce
Prep: 15 min., Cook: 6 min.
Select black plantains for optimum flavor and tenderness. We do not recommend substituting bananas for plantains.
Yield: makes 4 servings
Amount per serving
- Calories: 521
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 12g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 8g
- Protein: 4g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 217mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 soft black plantains, cut into 1-inch-thick slices (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup aromatic peanut oil made with USA-GROWN PEANUTS
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter made with USA-GROWN PEANUTS
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Garnishes: chopped USA-GROWN PEANUTS, lime wedges
- Whisk together brown sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add plantain slices, tossing to coat.
- Cook plantains in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to serving plates, using a slotted spoon.
- Combine honey and next 5 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in butter until smooth. Spoon sauce over plantains. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables