Caramelized Pears with Spiced Ice Cream
Spiced ice cream gently melts over warm and tender vanilla-poached pears. To make the dessert ahead, bake the pears, and refrigerate them before broiling. When you're ready to serve dessert, sprinkle the pears with sugar, and broil-perfect for easy entertaining.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 2 Hours, 5 Minutes
- Calories: 175
- Fat: 4.0g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 34.9g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 42mg
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Calcium: 66mg
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla reduced-fat ice cream, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or ground cinnamon
- 3 ripe Bosc pears
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup pear nectar
- 1 (3-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup Riesling or other slightly sweet white wine or pear nectar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Combine ice cream and allspice in a freezer-safe container; stir well. Cover; freeze 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Peel and core pears; cut each pear in half lengthwise, leaving stems intact. Place pears, cut sides down, in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Brush pear halves with lemon juice; drizzle with melted butter.
- Place pear nectar in a small saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add seeds and bean to nectar. Stir in honey. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Pour boiling mixture over pears. Cover loosely with foil; bake at 375° for 35 minutes, basting frequently with cooking liquid. Uncover; turn pears over. Stir in wine. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes, basting occasionally with cooking liquid. Remove pears from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- While broiler preheats, discard vanilla bean. Turn pears, cut sides down, and sprinkle with sugar. Broil 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar is caramelized (add additional pear nectar, as needed, if liquid boils away). Remove pears from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Place pear halves in each of 6 dessert dishes; drizzle cooking liquid evenly over each pear. Top each pear half with 1/4 cup ice cream, and sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon almonds.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note