This is an easy recipe to put together. I used canned pumpkin, which worked fine. The only drawback - and it's a minor one - is that the pumpkin makes this flan less smooth in texture than a flan normally is. However, the taste is great. I would make it again-
Caramelized Orange Pumpkin Flan
Photo: Annabelle Breakey
More From Sunset
6 Hours, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 205
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 3.9g
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 95mg
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- 1 2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Zest of 2 large oranges, divided
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Homemade Pumpkin Puree
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° and put a 2 1/4- to 2 1/2-qt. soufflé dish in oven to heat.
- 2. Cook 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and the cream of tartar in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar turns deep golden, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in zest of 1 orange. Protecting hands, remove dish from oven and pour caramelized sugar inside. Tilt dish until syrup thickens and evenly coats bottom and 1 to 2 in. up side.
- 3. Heat a kettle of water to boiling. In a bowl, whisk remaining 2/3 cup sugar and zest of 1 orange with remaining ingredients. Pour into soufflé dish and set dish in a 9-in. square baking pan. Put pan with dish on oven rack. Pour boiling water into pan halfway up side of soufflé dish.
- 4. Bake until a knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove dish from water and let cool on a rack, then chill, covered, at least 4 hours.
- 5. Run a thin metal spatula around inside of dish, then invert onto a deep plate. Set soufflé dish in hot water 10 minutes to loosen syrup (not all will come off); scrape syrup over flan. Cut flan into wedges.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts