Caramelized Onion-Veggie Burger
This delicious veggie burger is a healthy and savory choice for a summer entrée.
More From Health
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 53g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 653mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup canned lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 whole-grain buns
- 8 tomato slices (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 1. Pulse first 3 ingredients in food processor until finely chopped.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a skillet; turn down to medium, and cook onion, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add mushroom mixture, and cook, stirring, about 2-3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- 3. Stir cooled mushroom mixture into lentils, and combine with next 3 ingredients (through salt) until well-combined. Form mixture into 6 patties (about 1/2 cup each). Put cornmeal on a shallow plate, and coat burgers evenly.
- 4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and cook burgers about 3 minutes or until golden brown on underside. Flip burgers, and top with cheese. Cook about 3 minutes more or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve burgers on buns topped with tomato and basil, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes