The best homemade pizza I've ever made, and I've tried several. Added some mushrooms to the onions for the last 10 minutes. Used a lower heat on the onions, med hi seemed too much for caramelizing - use your own judgement. Also used shorter time for the onions by about 5 minutes. I had JennieO breakfast sausage on hand, so that's what I used. An excellent pizza, very filling, loaded with toppings, really great.
Caramelized Onion and Turkey Sausage Pizza
This pizza is a definite crowd-pleaser that is sure to satisfy everyone in the house!
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- Calories: 299
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 16.9g
- Carbohydrate: 26.8g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 487mg
- Calcium: 295mg
- 1 (8-ounce) ball Pizza Dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage links
- 1/2 cup Pizza Sauce
- 8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1. Place Pizza Dough on a large sheet of parchment paper. Cover with a damp towel; let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 500°.
- 3. While dough rises, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with sugar and salt. Continue cooking 15 to 20 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 4. Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well.
- 5. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on parchment paper. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Slide dough and parchment paper onto a large baking sheet. Place on bottom rack in oven. Bake at 500° for 5 minutes.
- 6. Spoon Pizza Sauce onto crust, spreading to rim. Top with cheese, onion, and sausage. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges.
- Note: If using refrigerated Pizza Dough, let dough rise as directed in step 1 for 1 hour. Proceed as directed in recipe.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note