Caramelized Onion Tart
A crispy and rustic tart with caramelized onion makes a perfect snack for evening.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 cup(s) All purpose flour
- 12 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- Nut Filling
- 1/2 cup(s) almond
- 1 clove(s) garlic
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- Onion Filling
- 2 head(s) onions sliced
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- Pulse the flour and salt in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until it forms a coarse meal. With the motor running drizzle water little by little( a tablespoon at a time, as you might not need all of the water) until the mixture begins to hold together. You will end up with a soft ball. If you think the dough is too sticky, add little more flour and knead using your fingers. Flatten the dough into a disc and wrap in a plastic wrap; refrigerate it for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile get started with the filling.
- For the Nut filling pulse walnuts and garlic in a food processor. With the machine running, add the olive oil and run until the mixture is finely chopped. Set aside.
- For the Onion Filling – Heat oil in a wok. Saute the onions until golden brown. Add the chili powder,salt and sugar. Continue to cook and scrape until the onions richly browned and caramelized.Now at the end if you wish add the balsamic vinegar or wine( if you like) to de-glaze your pan and bring in some additional flavors to the onions. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 16 by 8 inch rectangle. Fit this dough into a 14 by 5 inch rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim the excess dough from all the sides. Pierce all over the bottom with a fork . Refrigerate for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 375F. We have to blind bake the tart shell – Line the Tart shell with a parchment and fill it with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the crust begins to brown. Remove the pie weights and parchment, bake the tart shell for 10 minutes more. The shell must be golden brown. Allow it to cool.
- Spread the nut filling all over the shell. Bake for 2-3 minutes. Now top it with the caramelized onions and finally bake for another 15-20 minutes. If you feel the crust is browning fast, cover it loosely with an aluminium foil and bake. Once done, decorate with sliced tomatoes and cilantro. Serve warm.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by thefoodielovers and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note