I would make this again. It was time consuming the night before but the next day there is no prep work so it pays off. The onions took me 30 min to caramelize, but i used a standard size frying pan. Having cooked with chard before, i added 1/4 cup fresh chopped oregano and 2 large cloves minced garlic to the chard mixture. I also used rosemary bread & added 1/2 cup extra cheese. It was very melty though so i am not sure if it needed it. Tofu is often used as an egg replacer, i am guessing this was to reduce cholesterol in the recipe.
Caramelized Onion, Swiss Chard, and Fontina Cheese Strata
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 262
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 16.3g
- Carbohydrate: 31.3g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 717mg
- Calcium: 240mg
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 8 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces French bread, cut into (1/2-inch) cubes (about 10 cups)
- 3/4 cup drained, crumbled water-packed firm tofu
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook 12 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add chard; cook 5 minutes or until chard wilts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cool.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, milk, and next 5 ingredients (through bread) in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Place half of bread mixture in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with tofu, half of chard mixture, and 1/2 cup cheese. Top evenly with remaining bread mixture, remaining chard mixture, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove strata from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Bake strata, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note