- Cooking spray
- 3 cups thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 8 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces French bread, cut into (1/2-inch) cubes (about 10 cups)
- 3/4 cup drained, crumbled water-packed firm tofu
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- calories 262
- caloriesfromfat 29 %
- fat 8.3 g
- satfat 3.5 g
- monofat 2.1 g
- polyfat 1.1 g
- protein 16.3 g
- carbohydrate 31.3 g
- fiber 3.1 g
- cholesterol 18 mg
- iron 3.3 mg
- sodium 717 mg
- calcium 240 mg
How to Make It
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook 12 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add chard; cook 5 minutes or until chard wilts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cool.
Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, milk, and next 5 ingredients (through bread) in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Place half of bread mixture in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with tofu, half of chard mixture, and 1/2 cup cheese. Top evenly with remaining bread mixture, remaining chard mixture, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Remove strata from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Bake strata, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.