I use non-fat Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream, and I've used mozzarella if I don't have Gruyere on hand (the Gruyere is better, but mozzarella works). Also, I grill up a half pound flank steak, cut it into strips and serve that as another topping with the potato. My husband and I both enjoy this recipe. It also reheats pretty well for lunch.
Caramelized Onion-Stuffed Baked Potato
Baking the potato in the microwave makes this dish a snap to prepare. Fontina, mozzarella, or even Parmesan would work in this dish. Serve with filet mignon or flank steak.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed potato half)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 238
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 9.9g
- Carbohydrate: 40.7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 375mg
- Calcium: 192mg
- 2 medium baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups vertically sliced red onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; arrange on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at high 10 minutes or until done, rearranging potatoes after 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Combine potato pulp, 1/4 cup cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Spoon potato mixture evenly into shells.
- Melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sugar; sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Stir in sherry, Worcestershire, thyme, and garlic; cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Top each potato half with about 2 tablespoons onion mixture and 1 tablespoon of cheese. Arrange stuffed potato halves on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at high 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables