Caramelized Onion Soup
Leftovers? Toss with hot cooked noodles.
Yield: Makes 5 cups
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter or margarine
- 2 large Vidalia onions, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a 8-quart stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, 20 to 25 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk and whipping cream, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Whisk together egg yolks in a small bowl until blended. Gradually add 3 tablespoons hot mixture, whisking constantly. Stir yolk mixture into remaining hot mixture. Stir in chopped fresh parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note