Made to recipe a day in advance using a bit more of each broth (only because we like soupier-soup). Always takes us longer than "as directed" to caramelize onions low-and-slow, but it's worth it. Nice blend of onion/chicken broth and mushroom/beef broth. Using cheese toasts made quicker assembly & easier clean-up than baking/broiling. Served with CL's arugula & pear salad. Very nice on a cold & yucky day.
Caramelized Onion and Shiitake Soup with Gruyère–Blue Cheese Toasts
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 208
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 8.9g
- Carbohydrate: 33.4g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 694mg
- Calcium: 115mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups vertically sliced yellow onion (about 2 pounds)
- 5 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 10 ounces whole mushrooms)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices French bread baguette, toasted (about 6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1. To prepare soup, heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 15 minutes or until almost tender, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown (about 40 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- 2. Increase heat to medium. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and thyme sprigs; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high. Add wine to pan; cook 2 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Add broths to pan; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Discard thyme sprigs.
- 3. To prepare toasts, preheat broiler.
- 4. Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Top each bread slice with 1 teaspoon Gruyère and 1 teaspoon Gorgonzola. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle chopped thyme over cheese. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 2 toasts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews