- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups vertically sliced yellow onion (about 2 pounds)
- 5 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 10 ounces whole mushrooms)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices French bread baguette, toasted (about 6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- calories 208
- caloriesfromfat 23 %
- fat 5.4 g
- satfat 2.3 g
- monofat 2.2 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 8.9 g
- carbohydrate 33.4 g
- fiber 3.9 g
- cholesterol 9 mg
- iron 2.1 mg
- sodium 694 mg
- calcium 115 mg
How to Make It
To prepare soup, heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 15 minutes or until almost tender, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown (about 40 minutes), stirring occasionally.
Increase heat to medium. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and thyme sprigs; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high. Add wine to pan; cook 2 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Add broths to pan; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Discard thyme sprigs.
To prepare toasts, preheat broiler.
Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Top each bread slice with 1 teaspoon Gruyère and 1 teaspoon Gorgonzola. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle chopped thyme over cheese. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 2 toasts.