Excellent!!! I changed it up a little by doing a quick crust of 24 Triscuit crackers and 4 TBSP of melted butter. Bake at 350 for 7 mins. Remove, add caramelized onion mixture (I only used 1 onion and added a pinch of sugar when they were almost cooked completely.) top with cheese, pour on egg mixture - cook as recipe suggests. Delicious!!!
Caramelized Onion Quiche
Caramelized Onion Quiche is the perfect addition to your next brunch or luncheon. Gruyere cheese and bacon combine with caramelized onions for a quiche that can't be beat. Flat-leaf parsley, chives, and mint add a fresh, pretty finish to this tasty dish.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours
- 1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 3 large sweet onions, sliced (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 cooked bacon slices, crumbled
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Unroll piecrusts; stack on a lightly greased surface. Roll stacked piecrusts into a 12-inch circle. Fit piecrust into a 10-inch deep-dish tart pan with removable bottom; press into fluted edges. Trim off excess piecrust along edges. Line piecrust with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Place pan on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes. Remove weights and foil, and bake 8 more minutes. Cool completely on baking sheet on a wire rack (about 15 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook onions in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramel colored. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley and bacon. Place half of onion mixture in tart shell, and top with half of cheese; repeat with remaining onion mixture and cheese.
- 3. Whisk together half-and-half and next 4 ingredients; pour over cheese.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Cool on baking sheet on a wire rack 15 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note